Design Researcher, Innovation
Great design is born out of great research. Design researchers carefully investigate human experience and behavior, dream up new ways to spark and distill insight, and inspire teams and clients to address people’s needs through bold, optimistic design.
Why is this role important?
- Our Design Researchers lead clients and teams through a journey of human-centered research to discover insights and inspiration and contribute to all phases of the design process.
- Be ‘scrappy’ while promoting rigor in all quantitative and qualitative research
- Span the divide between design thinking and research methods
- Inspire your team on day one of a project with data you can gather from secondary sources
- See your insights turned into real concepts throughout the design process (from inspiration and discovery to testing and validation).
- Collect data on the fly (eg. during prototyping) to help teams iterate quickly
- Guide teams and clients about where data can add value to the design process (eg: when to use it and when not to, where 352’s capability can add creative value versus the client’s)
- Build relationships with clients, who may sometimes be embedded on the design team
352 Inc. is a 60-person team of super strategic problem solvers who get stuff done. We are driven by our passion to introduce new ways of thinking and doing in order to drive forward progress.
As part of a quickly growing company, you will need to bring a collaborative working style, great communication skills, and the ability to thrive in a non-rules based environment of innovation.
We’ll need you to help our clients identify real challenges and find solutions based on the needs of the end user, customer or employee.
We now play in an era where we can use digital tools to get an even better understanding of human behavior, and where we can source nearly unlimited data sets to contextualise a situation or challenge. Our innovative research approach combines qualitative and quantitative analysis, giving us invaluable insights into user behaviors that inform our design process.
Your Roles and Responsibilities
- Design and plan creative research, including sample design, screeners, field guides, etc.
- Execute the research, including leading 352 and client teams in the field
- Ability to synthesize research findings, think about systems-level patterns and frameworks, and uncover and articulate insights that will inform and inspire design.
- Communicate research findings relevant and impactful for design through a variety of formats such as insights, decks, stories, videos, experiences, and exhibits.
- Data storyteller - able to present and visualise a clear, concise narrative that gets a team excited about what the data means for them
- A people person, able to get into people’s heads, hearts and minds with empathy.
- A confident midweight. You know how to collect data from numerous sources (eg: surveys, text mining social media, log data from apps) and responsibly analyse it to uncover insights and bring further inspiration to the design process.
Who we’re looking for
- A strong passion for improving people's lives through design.
- Ability to work flexibly and efficiently, exercise a balance between research rigor and inspiration.
- 4 to 6 years of qualitative research experience with a sound ability to scope a research process, lead fieldwork, conduct interviews and do desk research.
- Fluency in quantitative research methods. Ability to create and analyze surveys to impact design.
- Creative storytelling abilities -- the ability to make an audience think/feel things they’ve wouldn’t have otherwise.
- An empathy and curiosity for how great brands, businesses and organizations navigate innovation and design.
- Experience with unique and novel tools and methods to uncover key insights.
- High comfort level in working within a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity.
- A passion for learning about new businesses and people
- Openness to critique from other disciplines and curiosity to learn from a spectrum of perspectives.
What You’ll Get
- Freedom: We trust you to do your thing and do it well.
- Professional Development: We set aside a conference budget because we want to invest in you. Got invited to speak? Even better.
- Benefits: Health and dental insurance provided, employer-match 401k retirement program, generous PTO policy and more.
- Everything starts with inspired people. Be curious, explore what’s new and work to get better every day.
- Teams do it best. Cohesive teams that take ownership create exceptional results.
- Embrace change. We move with agility and speed, and iterate based on what we learn.
- Show some grit. Sometimes it won’t be easy, but we’re determined to make it work, together.
- Be candid. Always tell it like it is in a supportive, respectful way.
- Celebrate wins. Small victories and big accomplishments are best when shared in good company.