Director of Design
352 Inc. is a full-service innovation, digital product development and marketing agency. We partner with great clients to build smart solutions that drive results. To do that, we believe everything starts with inspired people and a human first approach, and that's where you come in. We're looking for a Director of Design in Gainesville, FL to lead our design department.
We believe that design is the practice of solving business solutions based on a well-defined problem. As such, 352’s designers are an important part of our success in the creation of digital products, websites, and marketing campaigns. Their designs must be thoughtfully created and compelling while heavily influencing functional direction. Designers work within cross-functional, agile teams and embrace not only design and UX principles, but also pitching in to help their teams, whether that be through front-end coding, QA, or grabbing some Starbucks. Our ideal candidate has design savvy, user interface/interaction design experience, and is a champion of UX.
- You challenge staff to embrace iteration and agile principles within their design process
- You advocate, enforce and build upon an iterative design methodology to help designers work quickly and effectively within their teams
- You cultivate a staff that is not only solid in design, but also in presentation, facilitation, and client communication skills
- You build out growth plans specific to the individual needs of your staff
- You balance a fixed training budget against department growth goals and determine best training practices and opportunities for the department
- You make strong hires, provide mentorship, and lead department meetings
- You maintain and build strong client relationships
- You aren’t one to shy away from hands-on work to help designers level up on their projects
- You help improve the synergy between design and development through tooling and custom solutions
- You are comfortable leading design and discovery workshops with clients to help them establish their digital product strategy
- You proactively pitch in as needed to close promising sales opportunities, or onboard teams to new projects and clients
- You shore up department needs by developing relationships with vendors or contractors (UX, design supplementation) to leverage on retainers as needed
- 10+ years digital user interface design experience
- Proven track record as a manager or lead for design teams
- Ability to provide UX consultation a plus. Healthy respect for UX a must.
- Highly motivated with a proven record of success in digital product design and experience in implementing design systems
- Driven to learn and cultivate a culture of learning
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional presentation skills
- Travel as needed for sales pitches, client engagements and employee management
- Deep investment in the industry
Who we like to find
- In-the-Trenches Visionary: Desire to be hands-on with our teams and our clients, while also setting the path forward for your department
- Evangelist: Ability to grow awareness of our agency by actively networking and providing thought leadership
- Culture Champ: Culture is immensely important to the 352 family, so we’re looking for someone who works hard and plays hard, has a sense of humor, a flexible, creative approach to problem solving, and an interest in getting to know your co-workers
What You’ll Get
- Freedom: We trust you to do your thing and do it well.
- Professional Development: We set aside a conference budget because we want to invest in you. Got invited to speak? Even better.
- Benefits: Health and dental insurance provided, employer-match 401k retirement program, generous PTO policy and more.
- Everything starts with inspired people. Be curious, explore what’s new and work to get better every day.
- Teams do it best. Cohesive teams that take ownership create exceptional results.
- Embrace change. We move with agility and speed, and iterate based on what we learn.
- Show some grit. Sometimes it won’t be easy, but we’re determined to make it work, together.
- Be candid. Always tell it like it is in a supportive, respectful way.
- Celebrate wins. Small victories and big accomplishments are best when shared in good company.